*Best if prepared in the morning to enjoy the delicious aroma and subsequent flavor of your nighttime meal.
½ yellow onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed, tough outer layers removed, thinly sliced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, finely grated
2 lbs. bone-in short ribs
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ cup beef broth
¼ cup coconut aminos
2 tsp. honey
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Green onions, chopped, for garnish
Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Place onion, carrots, celery, lemongrass, ginger and garlic into a slow cooker.
- Generously season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, sear the ribs in the pan until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Place into the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth, coconut aminos, honey, and red pepper flakes. Pour the mixture over everything in the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 9-11 hours.
- Just before serving, remove the lemongrass stalk and place ribs and vegetables on a serving plate. Let the braising liquid in the crockpot sit for 5 minutes and skim any fat off the top. Pour about a cup of liquid over the ribs.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds to serve.